The Benefits and Drawbacks of Choosing Dark Cabinets for Kitchens
When looking to change up your kitchen, you may have thought about changing out your cabinets for darker-colored ones. There are, however, pros and cons to using dark cabinetry. Dark brown and black kitchen cabinets can add an interesting and dramatic look to the kitchen. But, the cons may outweigh the pros for your kitchen. No matter what you decide, Redo Cabinets By Krumweide can help you make the kitchen you’ve been dreaming of!
Pros of Dark Cabinetry
Sleek and Clean Appearance
Darker cabinets have a very unique appearance. It can help create a very sleek-looking kitchen. It can also give the kitchen a clean appearance without the clinical vibes that white cabinets can give off. That, paired with how uncommon dark cabinets are, can give you an incredible unique kitchen that everyone will remember.
- Darker cabinets have a very unique appearance, creating a sleek-looking kitchen.
- They provide a clean appearance without the clinical vibes white cabinets can give off.
- The uniqueness of dark cabinets can give you an incredible, memorable kitchen.
Works Well With Any Color
Dark colors can go with just about any color. It gives you a unique opportunity to contrast the colors of your kitchen cabinets by using light colors in other parts of the kitchen. Having dark cabinets and light countertops for example creates depth that counteracts the way dark colors can seemingly shrink a space. Plus, you can add splashes of color in your kitchen and the darkness will go along with it perfectly.
- Dark colors pair well with just about any other color, offering a unique opportunity for contrast.
- Pairing dark cabinets with light countertops creates depth, counteracting the shrinking effect of dark colors.
- Allows for splashes of color in your kitchen décor, complementing the dark cabinets perfectly.
Dark cabinets can add a dramatic or sophisticated flair to the kitchen. They can add a sense of luxury that can spice up an otherwise bland kitchen space. It’s a great way to make your kitchen feel different without having to completely remodel the space.
- Dark cabinets can add a dramatic or sophisticated flair to your kitchen.
- They introduce a sense of luxury, spicing up an otherwise bland space.
- A great way to differentiate your kitchen without a complete remodel.
Cons of Dark Cabinetry
Might Make the Space Feel Cramped
If you don’t do any contrast in color, the darkness can make the kitchen feel heavy and feel smaller. To counteract that you need to make sure to include light colors or open up the space. The dark colors also don’t have this effect as badly in larger kitchens.
- Without contrasting colors, dark cabinetry can make a kitchen feel heavy and smaller.
- To counteract this effect, it’s important to include light colors or open up the space.
- Dark colors tend to be less overwhelming in larger kitchens.
Scratches and Dings Can Be More Evident
Dark cabinets show damage more easily than lighter-colored cabinets. However, you can remedy this by keeping varnish that’s the same color as your cabinets on hand, or by getting highly durable cabinetry. Redo Cabinets offers DuraCore doors that are incredibly durable. They’re made of high-quality wood materials instead of particle board like most cabinets are made of. That also makes them denser and of higher quality.
- Damage such as scratches and dings is more visible on dark cabinets compared to lighter ones.
- Keeping varnish that matches your cabinets on hand can remedy this issue.
- Opting for highly durable cabinetry, like Redo Cabinets’ DuraCore doors, can prevent damage. These doors are made from high-quality wood materials, offering density and superior quality over typical particle board cabinets.
Call a Professional for a Cabinet Refacing
Getting dark cabinets can make an incredibly unique and visually interesting kitchen. The best way to change your cabinets is by getting a cabinet refacing. If you’re looking for a cabinet refacing professional in Chicagoland, Contact Redo Cabinets. We’ll give you a free quote for your kitchen. Our kitchen cabinet refacing experts in Arlington Heights, IL, are unmatched in the industry, and they exclusively focus on high-quality cabinet refacing. We offer many styles and colors so you can make your kitchen one of your dreams. Our add-ons can help you round out your vision for your perfect kitchen. Make sure to refer to our cabinet refacing specials to see our latest deals!